CMAG SECONDARY SCHOOL ART PRIZE
The Canberra Museum and Gallery is thrilled to be launching a Secondary School Art Prize. There are over $700 in prizes to be won!
The 2023 medium is photography – linking with our Capturing Canberra exhibition of press photography of Canberra (on display from 8 July - 28 Janurary 2023).
The Art Prize is open to secondary students who attend a school in Canberra. Prizes will be awarded in two categories: Year 7 to 10 and Year 11 to 12. A selection of entries will be displayed at Canberra Museum and Gallery.
2023 Theme: Capturing Canberra
Visit the Capturing Canberra: CMAG’s Press Photography Collection exhibition to discover press photography images from our collection and the stories behind them. Be inspired to create your own photographs of Canberra and enter them into the CMAG Secondary School Art Prize. The judges are looking for original, thought-provoking, and striking digital photography that excels at storytelling and is connected to our city.
There are two Art Prize categories:
All entries are due by 11:59pm on Sunday 27 August 2023.
Announcement of winners
Prizes will be awarded and announced on Saturday 16 September 2023.
Two prize categories: Year 7–10 and Year 11–12. Prizes include:
- First Prize: $200 gift voucher
- Second Prize: $100 gift voucher
- Highly Commended: $50 gift voucher
- Encouragement Award: a $30 gift voucher
How to enter
- Entry is FREE. Please enter the CMAG Art Prize via this link.
- You may enter up to four works. Photographs can be colour or black and white. Entries must be submitted as digital files through the online entry form.
- The maximum file size is 10MB.
- Entries must include the student’s surname and title of the photograph on the file (e.g. SmithCivicSquare).
- If an entered work includes the facial image of another person under 18 years old, the student participating must attach signed permission from the subject’s guardian/parent with their entry.
Terms and conditions
- Entry is open to all secondary school students enrolled in years 7 through 12 of High School in the Australian Capital Territory in 2023.
- Immediate family of Cultural Facilities Corporation employees are ineligible to enter.
- By participating in this competition, students, teachers, parents, and carers understand that student work will be used for current and future promotional purposes. Appropriate artist credit will be given when used for promotional purposes.
- CMAG reserves the right to display selected works only. Captions will include the student’s full name and school.
- The work may be produced as part of study or school requirements, but this is not a pre-requisite. Participants do not need to be studying art or a photography related course.
- No responsibility will be taken for digital files submitted. Digital files will not be returned.
Canberra Times photographers © Graham Tidy